At OLX, we empower people to upgrade their lives. Our products and services make the exchange of goods and services easy and convenient for everyone. This benefits local communities and beyond, getting one step closer to a world without waste.
Our ambition is to help one billion people exchange goods and services through products and services customers love.
About the role:
We are looking for a Front-End Engineer with a passion and talent for crafting a beautiful interface that is going to wow the user but in addition to that, you have a keen as ketchup interest in understanding the user experience and in discovering new technologies you can experiment around with. We are a team of 4,000 ambitious and curious people building trading platforms that are used by hundreds of millions of people every month to buy and sell almost anything.
What you’ll do:
- Front-end Engineers build and maintain robust APIs - from the service that powers them right down to the line of code that perfects them.
- They ensure all our services are healthy, monitored, automated, and designed to scale.
- You will work closely with other teams from the early stages of design all the way through identifying and resolving production issues.
- You will support a wide range of products focusing on automation, availability, and performance, and above all reliability as well as supporting mobile engineers and business intelligence leading up to, during and after each sprint.
- You will live true to our ambitions of building an industry-leading platform that is relentlessly focused on innovation.
- Develop elegant solutions for complex problems;
- Write and maintain exemplary code following best programming practices;
- Gain a detailed understanding of the complete architecture of our product and the position of your product stream in it;
- Work in a mentoring capacity within a peer-programming environment and provide guidance on tasks, irrespective of complexity or scale;
- Ensure feature comparability across multiple browsers & platforms;
- Identify and address performance issues;
- Handle the entire software development life cycle, end to end.
What you’ll need:
- Experience with mobile-first and responsive web design methodologies;
- Fair knowledge of pre-processors such as Sass (preferably), Stylus or LESS;
- Fair understanding of BEM, OOCSS or SMACSS methodologies;
- Experience with testing and developing across multiple browsers while maintaining a consistent experience;
- Fair understanding of MVC frameworks (Ember, Angular, Backbone or React);
- Understanding of build tools like Gulp or Webpack;
- Knowledge of Node.js;
- Understanding of package management tools like bower and NPM;
- Fair understanding of AMD, UMD, and Common JS patterns;
- Understanding of client-side performance issues;
- Good eye for design and UX;
- Experience with writing modular and reusable code;
- Understanding of version control systems (git);
- Understanding of using the command line;
- Good understanding of using graphic applications like Photoshop, Illustrator or Sketch;
- Experience with PHP is a plus;
- Experience with internationalization and working on websites with multiple languages is a plus.
- 3+ years of experience in a similar role;
- 3+ years of experience in analysis, design, coding, and implementation of next-generation web applications.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent field;
- Problem-solving; Analytical thinking; Conceptual thinking; Detail-oriented;
- Excellent communication & interpersonal skills. This is an absolute must. We have heated debates around complicated subjects and you will be expected to defend your points of view.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and quickly adjust in a rapidly changing environment;